Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Your Final Days

Have you ever been fascinated by the many different ways people react when they experience a death in their lives? Some people "handle it", while others are in an emotional state. Some are unable to function while others go into overdrive, and still others oscillate between the two. Have you ever wondered how you would react if your days were coming to an end? Is there one right way to experience the end of our lives?

In watching the natural progression of life I am always amazed at how different people approach the end of their lives. It makes me wonder, who I would be like, and would I "choose" the best way when my time comes. When I think of my two grandmothers, or my father and uncle, each "two-some" handled the end of their lives very differently. While they all handled their final days with dignity and strength, their acceptance and attitudes were completely different.

My grandmothers were like night and day. My "granny" was a true matriarch, she liked to be central to all the family gatherings, and as she got older wanted to be taken care of and doted upon. "Grandma" on the other hand was content to live her own life and have you become a part of it when your life allowed, she was more passive in her ways. Grandma was a penny pincher, while Granny liked a certain lifestyle.

No comments: